GLENDALE, Ariz. — Glendale police and firefighters are already hard at work getting ready for next year’s Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium.
A group of them returned from New York earlier this week, where they monitored how police and firefighters handled Super Bowl activities in both New York and New Jersey. They will try to take what they learned to help Glendale better prepare for next year’s game.
As a result of his experience, Glendale Police Cmdr. Matt Lively would like to see more security cameras around University of Phoenix Stadium.
“New York has a huge use of cameras and other things,” he said. “We’ve got some, but not that many.”
Lively said with the game happening in Glendale, the Waste Management Phoenix Open in Scottsdale and various other Super Bowl parties and events happening at the same time, police officers in the Valley will be busy. He said that various law enforcement agencies and fire departments are going to need to cooperate with each other.
“There’s going to be motor officers doing escorts,” he said. “There’s going to be bomb squads available to respond somewhere. There’s going to going be SWAT teams available. We will need to share those assets, and place them where they’re available (and needed) depending on what’s going on in a particular day.”
Lively said that the police and fire department in New York and New Jersey worked together to make this year’s game a success and law enforcement agencies here will need to do the same next year.
Both the police and fire departments said they are well-equipped and will be ready for next year’s big game.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night