GLENDALE, Ariz. — Glendale police and firefighters are already hard at work getting ready for next year’s Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium.
A group of them returned from New York earlier this week, where they monitored how police and firefighters handled Super Bowl activities in both New York and New Jersey. They will try to take what they learned to help Glendale better prepare for next year’s game.
As a result of his experience, Glendale Police Cmdr. Matt Lively would like to see more security cameras around University of Phoenix Stadium.
“New York has a huge use of cameras and other things,” he said. “We’ve got some, but not that many.”
Lively said with the game happening in Glendale, the Waste Management Phoenix Open in Scottsdale and various other Super Bowl parties and events happening at the same time, police officers in the Valley will be busy. He said that various law enforcement agencies and fire departments are going to need to cooperate with each other.
“There’s going to be motor officers doing escorts,” he said. “There’s going to be bomb squads available to respond somewhere. There’s going to going be SWAT teams available. We will need to share those assets, and place them where they’re available (and needed) depending on what’s going on in a particular day.”
Lively said that the police and fire department in New York and New Jersey worked together to make this year’s game a success and law enforcement agencies here will need to do the same next year.
Both the police and fire departments said they are well-equipped and will be ready for next year’s big game.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier