PHOENIX — The Behavior Research Center has released its first poll of the primaries for the Arizona governor’s race, and the Rocky Mountain Poll showed
that voters have no clear-cut favorite.
Behavior Research Center surveyed 700 Arizona voters in January and found the GOP field is led by former Go Daddy executive Christine Jones with 8 percent, followed by Mesa Mayor Scott Smith (7 percent) and former Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas(7 percent). Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett was fourth (6 percent). State Treasurer Doug Ducey (2 percent) and Al Melvin (1 percent) brought up the rear.
The survey found the early strength of Jones was tied to greater appeal than her rivals in attracting early votes from women. It also appears that she enjoys some strength in Pima County.
Among Democratic voters, Fred DuVal and Ron Cavanaugh were dead-even each with 14 percent but DuVal got a modest boost in his overall numbers because of his stronger appeal to independents who plan on voting in the Democrat primary.
When the preferences of independents are
factored in, DuVal leads Cavanaugh by an 18 to 12 percent margin.
The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.8 percent.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.