PHOENIX — Budget cuts shut down Arizona’s Office of Film and Media a few years ago but a northern Arizona lawmaker and others are trying to turn the lights back on.
Arizona is not among the 48 states that have film offices or the 40 states that offer tax incentives to filmmakers and there hasn’t been a blockbuster filmed in Arizona for years.
“When we lost the film office (in 2009), filmmaking in this state dropped by 70 percent,” said Randy Murray, with Randy Murray Productions in Phoenix. He supports Arizona Sen. Carlyle Begay, who is trying to bring back the film office with Senate Bill 1098.
Cost is estimated at $600,000 per year, but it would pay off, said Murray.
“Great jobs, high-wage jobs and it would fill hotels. The return could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Why would any taxpayer object to that when it only costs $600,000 to fire up the film office once again,” he said.
Murray pointed out the “3:10 to Yuma” remake was shot mainly in New Mexico. The 1957 original was shot in Arizona. Producers of last year’s “The Lone Ranger” did a few background shots in Monument Valley but finished up in New Mexico.
However, several movies have been filmed in part in the state in the past 30 years or so, including “Easy Rider” “Jerry Maguire” and portions of “Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi,” “Little Miss Sunshine,” “Hulk,” “The Mummy” “Almost Famous” and “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.”
Old Tucson Studios was the epicenter for Westerns starting in 1939, pumping out John Wayne classics, “Stagecoach,” “Rio Bravo” and “El Dorado.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon