PHOENIX — Budget cuts shut down Arizona’s Office of Film and Media a few years ago but a northern Arizona lawmaker and others are trying to turn the lights back on.
Arizona is not among the 48 states that have film offices or the 40 states that offer tax incentives to filmmakers and there hasn’t been a blockbuster filmed in Arizona for years.
“When we lost the film office (in 2009), filmmaking in this state dropped by 70 percent,” said Randy Murray, with Randy Murray Productions in Phoenix. He supports Arizona Sen. Carlyle Begay, who is trying to bring back the film office with Senate Bill 1098.
Cost is estimated at $600,000 per year, but it would pay off, said Murray.
“Great jobs, high-wage jobs and it would fill hotels. The return could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Why would any taxpayer object to that when it only costs $600,000 to fire up the film office once again,” he said.
Murray pointed out the “3:10 to Yuma” remake was shot mainly in New Mexico. The 1957 original was shot in Arizona. Producers of last year’s “The Lone Ranger” did a few background shots in Monument Valley but finished up in New Mexico.
However, several movies have been filmed in part in the state in the past 30 years or so, including “Easy Rider” “Jerry Maguire” and portions of “Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi,” “Little Miss Sunshine,” “Hulk,” “The Mummy” “Almost Famous” and “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.”
Old Tucson Studios was the epicenter for Westerns starting in 1939, pumping out John Wayne classics, “Stagecoach,” “Rio Bravo” and “El Dorado.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.