PHOENIX — With medical marijuana now more available, Valley hospitals are warning that kids are finding their parent’s brownies in the kitchen and eating them, without knowing what they really are.
Doctors are worried about kids getting into the drug.
“Particularly the edibles,” said Dr. Frank Lovecchio of the Banner Poison and Drug Information Center. “The edibles look so much like what kids would normally eat, like a lollipop or ice cream.”
He said the pot is so potent that some kids have had to be hospitalized.
“We’ve admitted a few that have become comatose and hard to arouse,” said Lovecchio. “They’re not quite needing to be put on a respirator, but they’ve become very sick.
“Three years ago, we saw zero. We saw no cases. Now, we’ve probably admitted a few kids who have become comatose. Three or four of them have been in a deep coma. But the uptick has been a few dozen cases in the past year.”
Part of the problem is that the edibles don’t come in a childproof container. Lovecchio said that parents should explain to their kids that the goodies are only for adults, and then show them the regular treats that young ones can eat.
He said medical marijuana users should keep their stash in a childproof container and out of their kids’ reach.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America