PHOENIX — With medical marijuana now more available, Valley hospitals are warning that kids are finding their parent’s brownies in the kitchen and eating them, without knowing what they really are.
Doctors are worried about kids getting into the drug.
“Particularly the edibles,” said Dr. Frank Lovecchio of the Banner Poison and Drug Information Center. “The edibles look so much like what kids would normally eat, like a lollipop or ice cream.”
He said the pot is so potent that some kids have had to be hospitalized.
“We’ve admitted a few that have become comatose and hard to arouse,” said Lovecchio. “They’re not quite needing to be put on a respirator, but they’ve become very sick.
“Three years ago, we saw zero. We saw no cases. Now, we’ve probably admitted a few kids who have become comatose. Three or four of them have been in a deep coma. But the uptick has been a few dozen cases in the past year.”
Part of the problem is that the edibles don’t come in a childproof container. Lovecchio said that parents should explain to their kids that the goodies are only for adults, and then show them the regular treats that young ones can eat.
He said medical marijuana users should keep their stash in a childproof container and out of their kids’ reach.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them