PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. — It was the end of an era on Wednesday for a Paradise Valley resort.
The Mountain Shadows resort at 56th Street and Lincoln Drive opened in 1959 and spent the next three decades as one of the most prestigious resorts in the Valley. Then, in 2004 it closed, remaining vacant ever since.
Paradise Valley Mayor Scott LeMarr said it’s time for the resort to go.
“It was asbestos-ridden and had some very old, antiquated mechanical systems,” said LeMarr. “It really didn’t fit the current luxury resort parameters that guests and tourists to our town expect today.”
Crown Development bought Mountain Shadows from Marriott for $42 million in 2007. After years of bankruptcies and legal problems, Crown CEO Robert Flaxman is ready to build a new resort with the same name.
Same name, perhaps, but a very different resort.
“The old resort represented the Arizona of its time — the late 1950s into the 1960s,” Flaxman said. “The new resort is going to represent Paradise Valley of the 21st century. It’s going to be forward thinking, more modern, and contemporary and is going to appeal to the current consumer tastes.”
But one area of the old Mountain Shadow isn’t going anywhere. Despite the resort’s closure nearly a decade ago, the golf course has remained open and operating and will remain a part of the new resort.
Flaxman said the new Mountain Shadows will also have several amenities.
“[Amenities] will include a spa, fitness center, swimming pool, bar, restaurants, retail shops and resort and residential housing, as well as a full-service luxury hotel,” Flaxman said.
Along with the 150-room boutique hotel, 140 new homes will be built at the site. Flaxman expects they will range in price between $1 million and $4 million.
The new Mountain Shadows is expected to open in 2016.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development