PHOENIX — A Valley charity is stepping up to help people who can’t afford to pay for Internet.
Wednesday was the ribbon cutting ceremony for Friendly House’s new state-of-the-art technology center near First Avenue and Lincoln Street in downtown Phoenix.
The center offers free Internet access through 20 computers and an 80-inch monitor. Friendly House President Mark Mazone said people can use it to take online classes and more.
“They can use it to update resumes and get some instruction there,” he said. “It can be in the form of job search, it can be in the form of language instruction and more.”
The center has the ability to transmit real-time classes to up to 500 people at a time. It’s designed to help low-income people in the immediate neighborhood that Friendly House is a part of, but the center is free and open to anyone. It was made possible in part by a $75,000 donation from Cox Communications.
Friendly House has been in Phoenix for 94 years, and Mazone said it helps a lot of people.
“We help with things like immigration, adult education, GED. We have a charter school, workforce development and healthcare services for the elderly.”
For more information, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier