PHOENIX — A Valley charity is stepping up to help people who can’t afford to pay for Internet.
Wednesday was the ribbon cutting ceremony for Friendly House’s new state-of-the-art technology center near First Avenue and Lincoln Street in downtown Phoenix.
The center offers free Internet access through 20 computers and an 80-inch monitor. Friendly House President Mark Mazone said people can use it to take online classes and more.
“They can use it to update resumes and get some instruction there,” he said. “It can be in the form of job search, it can be in the form of language instruction and more.”
The center has the ability to transmit real-time classes to up to 500 people at a time. It’s designed to help low-income people in the immediate neighborhood that Friendly House is a part of, but the center is free and open to anyone. It was made possible in part by a $75,000 donation from Cox Communications.
Friendly House has been in Phoenix for 94 years, and Mazone said it helps a lot of people.
“We help with things like immigration, adult education, GED. We have a charter school, workforce development and healthcare services for the elderly.”
For more information, click here.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets