PHOENIX — An Arizona congressman has gained support for a bill that would reimburse Arizona and other states for money used to reopen national parks during the partial federal government shutdown.
In a press release, Sen. Jeff Flake said he had received backing from Rhea Suh with the Dept. of the Interior that her agency would back legislation that would refund states that kept national parks, like the Grand Canyon, open during the shutdown.
“I absolutely support the repayment of states in this specific circumstance, and I believe that we require congressional authorization in order to do that, and I would support opportunities for that congressional authorization,” she said during a Tuesday meeting.
While park employee pay was covered by the federal government at the close of a shutdown, other costs were stomached by the state. Those money used for those costs has not been returned by the National Park Service.
Flake, along with Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), are seeking reimbursement for Arizona, Colorado, New York, South Dakota, Tennessee and Utah.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments