PHOENIX — An Arizona congressman has gained support for a bill that would reimburse Arizona and other states for money used to reopen national parks during the partial federal government shutdown.
In a press release, Sen. Jeff Flake said he had received backing from Rhea Suh with the Dept. of the Interior that her agency would back legislation that would refund states that kept national parks, like the Grand Canyon, open during the shutdown.
“I absolutely support the repayment of states in this specific circumstance, and I believe that we require congressional authorization in order to do that, and I would support opportunities for that congressional authorization,” she said during a Tuesday meeting.
While park employee pay was covered by the federal government at the close of a shutdown, other costs were stomached by the state. Those money used for those costs has not been returned by the National Park Service.
Flake, along with Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), are seeking reimbursement for Arizona, Colorado, New York, South Dakota, Tennessee and Utah.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy