PHOENIX — An Arizona congressman has gained support for a bill that would reimburse Arizona and other states for money used to reopen national parks during the partial federal government shutdown.
In a press release, Sen. Jeff Flake said he had received backing from Rhea Suh with the Dept. of the Interior that her agency would back legislation that would refund states that kept national parks, like the Grand Canyon, open during the shutdown.
“I absolutely support the repayment of states in this specific circumstance, and I believe that we require congressional authorization in order to do that, and I would support opportunities for that congressional authorization,” she said during a Tuesday meeting.
While park employee pay was covered by the federal government at the close of a shutdown, other costs were stomached by the state. Those money used for those costs has not been returned by the National Park Service.
Flake, along with Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), are seeking reimbursement for Arizona, Colorado, New York, South Dakota, Tennessee and Utah.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night