PHOENIX — As of Wednesday every Chandler and Phoenix fire truck will be carrying lifesaving equipment designed to help pets.
The United Phoenix Fire Fighters Association raised more than $10,000 to put Fido Bag CPR kits on the trucks. Oxygen masks designed to fit any cat or dog along with other pet-size gear such as bandages and slings.
“We’ve had 11 saves in the past three weeks in the Valley using the Fido Bags,” Phoenix Fire Capt. Russ Kirk said.
Seven puppies were killed in a house fire in Chandler last week. Chandler Fire Battalion Chief Keith Hargis said dealing with animals at a fire is much different than dealing with people.
“They’re small, scared and they like to hide in an area of the home they’re familiar with,” he said. “They’re often causalities and it’s devastating for families.”
Tempe, Glendale and Peoria also have the Fido Bags on their trucks.
The Fetch Foundation provided the Fido Kits which are used by many departments nationwide and in Canada. The CPR kits are also used by US military in Afghanistan.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon