PHOENIX — A dry winter has left California’s water supply in jeopardy but Arizona isn’t facing that situation.
Many Golden State cities are facing the possibility of water restrictions because of the ongoing drought and while Arizona has been in drought status for almost 20 years, a local utility company spokesman said the Valley won’t likely be dealing with restrictions.
Mark Hubble with the Salt River Project said its reservoir system, which supplies about 70 percent of the Valley’s water, are at 56 percent of capacity thanks to summer’s monsoon and November rainstorms.
“That’s not optimum but it’s doing what it is supposed to do, certainly enough to get us through this year and the future years,” Hubble said.
Hubble said Arizona’s reservoir system is different from California’s and was built to get the state through long periods of drought. California’s system was built with the near-term in mind.
“California’s reservoirs are designed to capture water year to year to give them the ability to ration out the water,” he said.
Arizona isn’t completely problem-free with its water supply. Hubble said this is Arizona’s fourth consecutive dry winter and the snowpack is less than 5 percent of what it should be to help fill the reservoirs.
Meanwhile, levels on the Colorado River, which supplies a portion of the Valley’s, water continues to drop.
The Central Arizona Project said the earliest that the Bureau of Reclamation would declare a water shortage in Arizona would be 2017 and it would impact agricultural water allotments but not cities or businesses.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick