PHOENIX — A dry winter has left California’s water supply in jeopardy but Arizona isn’t facing that situation.
Many Golden State cities are facing the possibility of water restrictions because of the ongoing drought and while Arizona has been in drought status for almost 20 years, a local utility company spokesman said the Valley won’t likely be dealing with restrictions.
Mark Hubble with the Salt River Project said its reservoir system, which supplies about 70 percent of the Valley’s water, are at 56 percent of capacity thanks to summer’s monsoon and November rainstorms.
“That’s not optimum but it’s doing what it is supposed to do, certainly enough to get us through this year and the future years,” Hubble said.
Hubble said Arizona’s reservoir system is different from California’s and was built to get the state through long periods of drought. California’s system was built with the near-term in mind.
“California’s reservoirs are designed to capture water year to year to give them the ability to ration out the water,” he said.
Arizona isn’t completely problem-free with its water supply. Hubble said this is Arizona’s fourth consecutive dry winter and the snowpack is less than 5 percent of what it should be to help fill the reservoirs.
Meanwhile, levels on the Colorado River, which supplies a portion of the Valley’s, water continues to drop.
The Central Arizona Project said the earliest that the Bureau of Reclamation would declare a water shortage in Arizona would be 2017 and it would impact agricultural water allotments but not cities or businesses.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.