PHOENIX — A late-night fire in an industrial area destroyed an abandoned warehouse in Phoenix.
The first-alarm fire lit up the sky around 27th Avenue and Jackson Street before dozens of firefighters knocked it down. The Harris Rebar warehouse has been abandoned for years.
“The property manager has been trying to get the 20,000 square foot warehouse fenced and secured but there has been a history of trespassers on the property,” Fire Capt. Ray Wilson said early Wednesday. “Large fires like this at night are always a concern and dangerous to fight. The entire roof was on fire when crews arrived.”
The fire never posed a threat to surrounding businesses in industrial area.
“The biggest cost is going to be the demolition because the building wasn’t in a usable state,” Wilson said. Cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.
The warehouse was built in 1955.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas