PHOENIX — A late-night fire in an industrial area destroyed an abandoned warehouse in Phoenix.
The first-alarm fire lit up the sky around 27th Avenue and Jackson Street before dozens of firefighters knocked it down. The Harris Rebar warehouse has been abandoned for years.
“The property manager has been trying to get the 20,000 square foot warehouse fenced and secured but there has been a history of trespassers on the property,” Fire Capt. Ray Wilson said early Wednesday. “Large fires like this at night are always a concern and dangerous to fight. The entire roof was on fire when crews arrived.”
The fire never posed a threat to surrounding businesses in industrial area.
“The biggest cost is going to be the demolition because the building wasn’t in a usable state,” Wilson said. Cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.
The warehouse was built in 1955.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development