PHOENIX — A late-night fire in an industrial area destroyed an abandoned warehouse in Phoenix.
The first-alarm fire lit up the sky around 27th Avenue and Jackson Street before dozens of firefighters knocked it down. The Harris Rebar warehouse has been abandoned for years.
“The property manager has been trying to get the 20,000 square foot warehouse fenced and secured but there has been a history of trespassers on the property,” Fire Capt. Ray Wilson said early Wednesday. “Large fires like this at night are always a concern and dangerous to fight. The entire roof was on fire when crews arrived.”
The fire never posed a threat to surrounding businesses in industrial area.
“The biggest cost is going to be the demolition because the building wasn’t in a usable state,” Wilson said. Cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.
The warehouse was built in 1955.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night