PHOENIX — Changing demand in the job market is sending students toward different careers.
In Arizona, higher education in health care fields is up among Valley students, according to a report by Higher Ed Growth.
“I think what’s happening is that, really, students are going to school so they can qualify for jobs,” said Eric Flottmann, chief operating officer of Higher Ed Growth. “I think the medical field, specifically, is appealing because there are job opportunities available for graduates with certificates and associate level degrees. So students can qualify for jobs without necessarily going to a four year university.”
The study shows higher education enrollment in Arizona is also up for women and those with military backgrounds.
This report represents a changing attitude towards education, he said.
“It used to be that a bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts program was the default, but really more and more it seems like vocational degree types are becoming more popular,” he said. “And are probably more appropriate for a lot of students and provide more opportunities.
“A lot of the data that we’ve looked over the past while supports that, and we expect to see it continuing to go that direction,” he said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.