PHOENIX — Changing demand in the job market is sending students toward different careers.
In Arizona, higher education in health care fields is up among Valley students, according to a report by Higher Ed Growth.
“I think what’s happening is that, really, students are going to school so they can qualify for jobs,” said Eric Flottmann, chief operating officer of Higher Ed Growth. “I think the medical field, specifically, is appealing because there are job opportunities available for graduates with certificates and associate level degrees. So students can qualify for jobs without necessarily going to a four year university.”
The study shows higher education enrollment in Arizona is also up for women and those with military backgrounds.
This report represents a changing attitude towards education, he said.
“It used to be that a bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts program was the default, but really more and more it seems like vocational degree types are becoming more popular,” he said. “And are probably more appropriate for a lot of students and provide more opportunities.
“A lot of the data that we’ve looked over the past while supports that, and we expect to see it continuing to go that direction,” he said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy