PHOENIX — Changing demand in the job market is sending students toward different careers.
In Arizona, higher education in health care fields is up among Valley students, according to a report by Higher Ed Growth.
“I think what’s happening is that, really, students are going to school so they can qualify for jobs,” said Eric Flottmann, chief operating officer of Higher Ed Growth. “I think the medical field, specifically, is appealing because there are job opportunities available for graduates with certificates and associate level degrees. So students can qualify for jobs without necessarily going to a four year university.”
The study shows higher education enrollment in Arizona is also up for women and those with military backgrounds.
This report represents a changing attitude towards education, he said.
“It used to be that a bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts program was the default, but really more and more it seems like vocational degree types are becoming more popular,” he said. “And are probably more appropriate for a lot of students and provide more opportunities.
“A lot of the data that we’ve looked over the past while supports that, and we expect to see it continuing to go that direction,” he said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night