In the wake of the apparent drug overdose death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, there is some disturbing news from the Arizona Department of Health Services.
The number of heroin deaths in the state is up.
“Last year, there were 100 Arizonans who died from apparent heroin overdoses,” said ADHS Director Will Humble.
“That’s the second highest in the last few years.”
In 2011, 125 died from heroin overdoses. That number dropped to 93 in 2012, but is now way back up. Experts say that more people are using heroin because they’re finding that heroin is much less expensive than prescription drugs, and gives them the same high.
Humble described how heroin kills.
“It basically binds to the opioid receptors in your brain, and that way it creates a high,” Humble said. “When people die from a heroin overdose, it’s because that the brain is so affected that it forgets to tell the body to breathe.
There also appears to be more heroin coming into the state. The Drug Enforcement Administration says that heroin seizures jumped from 154 kilograms in 2008 to 522 in 2012.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy