In the wake of the apparent drug overdose death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, there is some disturbing news from the Arizona Department of Health Services.
The number of heroin deaths in the state is up.
“Last year, there were 100 Arizonans who died from apparent heroin overdoses,” said ADHS Director Will Humble.
“That’s the second highest in the last few years.”
In 2011, 125 died from heroin overdoses. That number dropped to 93 in 2012, but is now way back up. Experts say that more people are using heroin because they’re finding that heroin is much less expensive than prescription drugs, and gives them the same high.
Humble described how heroin kills.
“It basically binds to the opioid receptors in your brain, and that way it creates a high,” Humble said. “When people die from a heroin overdose, it’s because that the brain is so affected that it forgets to tell the body to breathe.
There also appears to be more heroin coming into the state. The Drug Enforcement Administration says that heroin seizures jumped from 154 kilograms in 2008 to 522 in 2012.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths