PHOENIX — AARP is launching a campaign to fight identity theft through its new Fraud Watch Network.
“Folks can go on and find very, very helpful information on how to avoid being taken in a scam or having their identity stolen,” said Cynthia Fagyas with AARP.
The program is designed to prevent frauds in two ways: By informing people on how to avoid being scammed and providing alerts to current scams that are popping up nearby.
“They can learn about the latest scam in their area and they can actually sign up to receive alerts about the latest scams and fraud that is being perpetrated in their particular area,” said Fagyas.
The program is free and open to anyone.
Last year, more then $20 billion was stolen from about 13 million scam victims across the United States, a press release from AARP said.
Arizona was once the top state in the country for identity theft cases. It has since dropped out of the top spot.
To learn more about the program, click here.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development