PHOENIX — AARP is launching a campaign to fight identity theft through its new Fraud Watch Network.
“Folks can go on and find very, very helpful information on how to avoid being taken in a scam or having their identity stolen,” said Cynthia Fagyas with AARP.
The program is designed to prevent frauds in two ways: By informing people on how to avoid being scammed and providing alerts to current scams that are popping up nearby.
“They can learn about the latest scam in their area and they can actually sign up to receive alerts about the latest scams and fraud that is being perpetrated in their particular area,” said Fagyas.
The program is free and open to anyone.
Last year, more then $20 billion was stolen from about 13 million scam victims across the United States, a press release from AARP said.
Arizona was once the top state in the country for identity theft cases. It has since dropped out of the top spot.
To learn more about the program, click here.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain