PHOENIX — AARP is launching a campaign to fight identity theft through its new Fraud Watch Network.
“Folks can go on and find very, very helpful information on how to avoid being taken in a scam or having their identity stolen,” said Cynthia Fagyas with AARP.
The program is designed to prevent frauds in two ways: By informing people on how to avoid being scammed and providing alerts to current scams that are popping up nearby.
“They can learn about the latest scam in their area and they can actually sign up to receive alerts about the latest scams and fraud that is being perpetrated in their particular area,” said Fagyas.
The program is free and open to anyone.
Last year, more then $20 billion was stolen from about 13 million scam victims across the United States, a press release from AARP said.
Arizona was once the top state in the country for identity theft cases. It has since dropped out of the top spot.
To learn more about the program, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier