PHOENIX — AARP is launching a campaign to fight identity theft through its new Fraud Watch Network.
“Folks can go on and find very, very helpful information on how to avoid being taken in a scam or having their identity stolen,” said Cynthia Fagyas with AARP.
The program is designed to prevent frauds in two ways: By informing people on how to avoid being scammed and providing alerts to current scams that are popping up nearby.
“They can learn about the latest scam in their area and they can actually sign up to receive alerts about the latest scams and fraud that is being perpetrated in their particular area,” said Fagyas.
The program is free and open to anyone.
Last year, more then $20 billion was stolen from about 13 million scam victims across the United States, a press release from AARP said.
Arizona was once the top state in the country for identity theft cases. It has since dropped out of the top spot.
To learn more about the program, click here.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick