PHOENIX — If you received a phone call from an unknown number and returned the call, you may want to check your phone bill.
According to the Yuma Police Department, a new scam is costing cell phone users a lot of money.
Police said the scam involves a phone call where the phone rings only one time. The scammers then hope the owner gets curious enough to call back to see who it was.
When they do, they begin racking up the charges. Some reported rates as high as $9 per minute charged to their account. Some of the numbers originated in the Caribbean and charged an international calling fee of $19.95.
Police said if you receive a call from a number you don’t know and the caller does not leave a voice mail, do not return the call.
Anyone who may have been scammed is urged to check their phone bill as soon as possible.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas