PHOENIX — A Phoenix family survived a van plowing into its home early Tuesday morning. There were no injuries.
A man driving a work van going 35-40 mph southbound on 14th Street near Northern Avenue crashed through a wall, clipped an orange tree before coming to a stop inside the home just inches from the family.
Michael Gutierrez, 17, said he, his mother and sister thought the noise was an explosion.
“(The driver) was freaking out, thinking he had killed someone. Police were trying to get ahold of him. It’s crazy to think this could happen and my mom was always skeptical about having a corner home. We’re lucky to be alive. A block wall kept the van from coming totally through the house,” Gutierrez said.
The suspected drunk driver suffered scratches and faced a long list of felony charges.
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips