PHOENIX — A Phoenix family survived a van plowing into its home early Tuesday morning. There were no injuries.
A man driving a work van going 35-40 mph southbound on 14th Street near Northern Avenue crashed through a wall, clipped an orange tree before coming to a stop inside the home just inches from the family.
Michael Gutierrez, 17, said he, his mother and sister thought the noise was an explosion.
“(The driver) was freaking out, thinking he had killed someone. Police were trying to get ahold of him. It’s crazy to think this could happen and my mom was always skeptical about having a corner home. We’re lucky to be alive. A block wall kept the van from coming totally through the house,” Gutierrez said.
The suspected drunk driver suffered scratches and faced a long list of felony charges.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments