PHOENIX — February marks Black History Month, and one Valley artist has created an organization to help today’s youth focus its anger through art.
“A lot of times when you see a Black History exhibit, you just see Harriet Tubman, you see MLK, you see the regulars,” says T.M. Noel, CEO of Angry Houze of Sketch. “But what I do is I put (Notorious B.I.G.) next to MLK, or I put (Tupac) next to Malcolm X, or I put Left Eye [from TLC] next to Rosa Parks.”
His work bridges the gap between generations, so that the youth can stand beside the adults and view it, he said.
As a graffiti artist who painted legal murals for money, Noel specializes in sketches of black leaders.
“What we’re about is brushes and pencils, not bullets and pistols,” Noel said. “(It) is curbing the violence and the anger and putting it on canvas and expressing yourself.”
Noel’s art is currently on display for Black History Month at Phoenix City Hall in the atrium. It’s also on the second floor of Arizona State University’s downtown campus.
For more information or to see some of Noel’s work, go to AngryHouzeofSketch.org.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them