A Valley resident just may save your life.
This year, the City of Phoenix plans to train 3,000 Valley volunteers to act as first responders in cardiac arrest emergencies.
Mayor Greg Stanton said that if there are citizens with the right training, lives can be saved.
“We know that if we have not only the equipment in very public places but many citizens with the right training, we can, in fact, save lives,” he said.
The City of Phoenix is one of five cities to receive 500 CPR Anytime Kits (or Hands-Only CPR training kits) to hopefully “turn Valley residents into lifesavers.”
“Look at what’s happened at Sky Harbor Airport,” Stanton said. “By having the lifesaving defibrillators as accessible as possible, as easy to use as possible, we’ve saved multiple lives, as a result of that.”
Phoenix was chosen by the American Heart Association and Cities of Service to receive the grant. Ultimately, the plan is to teach 3,000 Phoenix residents CPR this year.
The first set of volunteers will be trained by professionals, with the hope that those volunteers will then teach CPR to at least five other Valley residents.
The city will target residents, employees, faith-based leaders and scout leaders for the training.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier