PHOENIX — The state of Arizona and Western Union are working hand in hand to combat the growing problem of money laundering in the state.
“Western Union, in the coming year, is going to spend one-fifth of $1 billion on compliance — things to do to prevent people who are involved in wiring money from facilitating money laundering or drug trafficking,” Attorney General Tom Horne said.
He said this is part of a settlement agreement where Western Union will have to follow 90 recommendations, including strict monitoring of its agents.
“It’s a very historic agreement, which will be a model for the industry and I think essentially substantially reduce, if not eliminate, money laundering as a key part of the drug-importing business,” Horne said.
The attorney general said he hopes the partnership will also help reduce border violence, gun running and human smuggling efforts.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy