PHOENIX — The state of Arizona and Western Union are working hand in hand to combat the growing problem of money laundering in the state.
“Western Union, in the coming year, is going to spend one-fifth of $1 billion on compliance — things to do to prevent people who are involved in wiring money from facilitating money laundering or drug trafficking,” Attorney General Tom Horne said.
He said this is part of a settlement agreement where Western Union will have to follow 90 recommendations, including strict monitoring of its agents.
“It’s a very historic agreement, which will be a model for the industry and I think essentially substantially reduce, if not eliminate, money laundering as a key part of the drug-importing business,” Horne said.
The attorney general said he hopes the partnership will also help reduce border violence, gun running and human smuggling efforts.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development