PHOENIX — The state of Arizona and Western Union are working hand in hand to combat the growing problem of money laundering in the state.
“Western Union, in the coming year, is going to spend one-fifth of $1 billion on compliance — things to do to prevent people who are involved in wiring money from facilitating money laundering or drug trafficking,” Attorney General Tom Horne said.
He said this is part of a settlement agreement where Western Union will have to follow 90 recommendations, including strict monitoring of its agents.
“It’s a very historic agreement, which will be a model for the industry and I think essentially substantially reduce, if not eliminate, money laundering as a key part of the drug-importing business,” Horne said.
The attorney general said he hopes the partnership will also help reduce border violence, gun running and human smuggling efforts.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night