PHOENIX — The state of Arizona and Western Union are working hand in hand to combat the growing problem of money laundering in the state.
“Western Union, in the coming year, is going to spend one-fifth of $1 billion on compliance — things to do to prevent people who are involved in wiring money from facilitating money laundering or drug trafficking,” Attorney General Tom Horne said.
He said this is part of a settlement agreement where Western Union will have to follow 90 recommendations, including strict monitoring of its agents.
“It’s a very historic agreement, which will be a model for the industry and I think essentially substantially reduce, if not eliminate, money laundering as a key part of the drug-importing business,” Horne said.
The attorney general said he hopes the partnership will also help reduce border violence, gun running and human smuggling efforts.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas