TUCSON, Ariz. — The Jed Foundation has awarded the University of Arizona with its coveted JedCampus seal.
The foundation focuses on promoting emotional health and suicide prevention among college students.
UA is one of 37 schools nationwide to be awarded the seal, and it is the first school in Arizona to to receive the honor.
Donna and Phil Satow began the Jed Foundation in 2000, after their son Jed committed suicide. He was a sophomore at UA at the time of his death, making UA’s JedCampus seal even more special.
According to a press release, UA’s suicide prevention efforts “include in-person trainings that teach university students and employees how to ask someone about suicide; media campaigns that include educational posters, videos, newsletters and brochures; and more than 40 curriculum modules that can be used across campus.”
“While we know that providing safe and confidential mental health services is critical, we also know that educating students about the value in acknowledging suicidal thoughts and seeking help is necessary,” said Marian Binder, director of the Campus Health Service’s Counseling and Psych Services.
The JedCampus seal is valid for two years.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains