TUCSON, Ariz. — The Jed Foundation has awarded the University of Arizona with its coveted JedCampus seal.
The foundation focuses on promoting emotional health and suicide prevention among college students.
UA is one of 37 schools nationwide to be awarded the seal, and it is the first school in Arizona to to receive the honor.
Donna and Phil Satow began the Jed Foundation in 2000, after their son Jed committed suicide. He was a sophomore at UA at the time of his death, making UA’s JedCampus seal even more special.
According to a press release, UA’s suicide prevention efforts “include in-person trainings that teach university students and employees how to ask someone about suicide; media campaigns that include educational posters, videos, newsletters and brochures; and more than 40 curriculum modules that can be used across campus.”
“While we know that providing safe and confidential mental health services is critical, we also know that educating students about the value in acknowledging suicidal thoughts and seeking help is necessary,” said Marian Binder, director of the Campus Health Service’s Counseling and Psych Services.
The JedCampus seal is valid for two years.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier