PHOENIX — Three Arizona State University students hope to turn a truck that once served burgers or tacos into another source of nourishment.
“On our truck we want to see everything from the latest e-reader technology to laptop computers to iPads, just make sure kids are getting exposure to all types of technology,” said ASU senior Alex Miller.
Miller and fellow Barrett Honors students Elijah Allan and Jasmine Clarke-Telfer came up with the idea for what they call a BiblioTrucka after doing some research.
“Of the charter schools in the downtown or south Phoenix areas, 44 percent are currently operating without a library. That was a shock to us.”
The students wanted to do something and came up with a mobile library, but the traditional bookmobile model proved too expensive so they are focused on getting a used food truck that should run between $6,000 and $10,000.
“We want it to be a very open space so one of the things we’ve envisioned is cutting out one side of the truck to make a roll up door so that wherever we’re parked we can immediately roll that up and invite community members into our space,” said Miller.
The students are applying for grants in hopes of coming up with the cash to buy a truck and they’re also looking for an expert to help retrofit the vehicle.
To read more about their concept, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon