PHOENIX — Three Arizona State University students hope to turn a truck that once served burgers or tacos into another source of nourishment.
“On our truck we want to see everything from the latest e-reader technology to laptop computers to iPads, just make sure kids are getting exposure to all types of technology,” said ASU senior Alex Miller.
Miller and fellow Barrett Honors students Elijah Allan and Jasmine Clarke-Telfer came up with the idea for what they call a BiblioTrucka after doing some research.
“Of the charter schools in the downtown or south Phoenix areas, 44 percent are currently operating without a library. That was a shock to us.”
The students wanted to do something and came up with a mobile library, but the traditional bookmobile model proved too expensive so they are focused on getting a used food truck that should run between $6,000 and $10,000.
“We want it to be a very open space so one of the things we’ve envisioned is cutting out one side of the truck to make a roll up door so that wherever we’re parked we can immediately roll that up and invite community members into our space,” said Miller.
The students are applying for grants in hopes of coming up with the cash to buy a truck and they’re also looking for an expert to help retrofit the vehicle.
To read more about their concept, click here.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America