PHOENIX — Three Arizona State University students hope to turn a truck that once served burgers or tacos into another source of nourishment.
“On our truck we want to see everything from the latest e-reader technology to laptop computers to iPads, just make sure kids are getting exposure to all types of technology,” said ASU senior Alex Miller.
Miller and fellow Barrett Honors students Elijah Allan and Jasmine Clarke-Telfer came up with the idea for what they call a BiblioTrucka after doing some research.
“Of the charter schools in the downtown or south Phoenix areas, 44 percent are currently operating without a library. That was a shock to us.”
The students wanted to do something and came up with a mobile library, but the traditional bookmobile model proved too expensive so they are focused on getting a used food truck that should run between $6,000 and $10,000.
“We want it to be a very open space so one of the things we’ve envisioned is cutting out one side of the truck to make a roll up door so that wherever we’re parked we can immediately roll that up and invite community members into our space,” said Miller.
The students are applying for grants in hopes of coming up with the cash to buy a truck and they’re also looking for an expert to help retrofit the vehicle.
To read more about their concept, click here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night