PHOENIX — State Rep. John Kavanagh wants to restrict aggressive panhandling in Arizona.
“This is not the usual, ‘Mister, can you spare a dime?’ passive begging,” he said.
So-called “passive” or “peaceful” begging is protected by the First Amendment. It’s a lesson Arizona learned last year after a federal court ruled a state law on public begging violates free speech. This year, Kavanagh has introduced a bill to ban aggressive panhandling.
“That’s where the panhandler follows you around and keeps asking after you say no, touches you, steps in front of you, blocks your way,” he said.
His bill would also make it illegal for a panhandler to approach someone within 10 feet of a bus stop or 15 feet of a bank or ATM. Kavanagh, a Republican who represents Fountain Hills in District 23, said this is not a right-wing or left-wing bill.
“Blue states, red states, they all have this ban against this very uncivil and intimidating behavior. It’s just not appropriate.”
If House Bill 2024 becomes law, it would make aggressive panhandling a petty offense which typically involves a citation being issued. Kavanagh said repeat offenders could potentially face jail time.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick