PHOENIX — State Rep. John Kavanagh wants to restrict aggressive panhandling in Arizona.
“This is not the usual, ‘Mister, can you spare a dime?’ passive begging,” he said.
So-called “passive” or “peaceful” begging is protected by the First Amendment. It’s a lesson Arizona learned last year after a federal court ruled a state law on public begging violates free speech. This year, Kavanagh has introduced a bill to ban aggressive panhandling.
“That’s where the panhandler follows you around and keeps asking after you say no, touches you, steps in front of you, blocks your way,” he said.
His bill would also make it illegal for a panhandler to approach someone within 10 feet of a bus stop or 15 feet of a bank or ATM. Kavanagh, a Republican who represents Fountain Hills in District 23, said this is not a right-wing or left-wing bill.
“Blue states, red states, they all have this ban against this very uncivil and intimidating behavior. It’s just not appropriate.”
If House Bill 2024 becomes law, it would make aggressive panhandling a petty offense which typically involves a citation being issued. Kavanagh said repeat offenders could potentially face jail time.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl