PHOENIX — Arizona ranks seventh in the nation when it comes effective animal protection laws, but advocates say there is always room for improvement.
“Animals need our protection, they don’t have a voice of their own,” said Kari Nienstedt, state director of the Humane Society of the United States.
People from around the state will meet with lawmakers on Tuesday, also known as Humane Day 2014, to lobby for better animal welfare laws. Attendees will be supporting bills that protect breeding dogs and those that stiffen penalties for abusers.
“Animal abuse is a community problem,” said Nienstedt. “There have been many studies over the past 20 years that show a strong link between animal abuse and human violence.”
Advocates are urging legislators to support legislation that would temporarily ban ownership of animals for those who’ve been convicted of extreme animal cruelty, add animal fighting to the list of racketeering crimes, ensure consistent, humane standards of care for breeding dogs and prohibit live animals as prizes in carnival games.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development