PHOENIX — Arizona ranks seventh in the nation when it comes effective animal protection laws, but advocates say there is always room for improvement.
“Animals need our protection, they don’t have a voice of their own,” said Kari Nienstedt, state director of the Humane Society of the United States.
People from around the state will meet with lawmakers on Tuesday, also known as Humane Day 2014, to lobby for better animal welfare laws. Attendees will be supporting bills that protect breeding dogs and those that stiffen penalties for abusers.
“Animal abuse is a community problem,” said Nienstedt. “There have been many studies over the past 20 years that show a strong link between animal abuse and human violence.”
Advocates are urging legislators to support legislation that would temporarily ban ownership of animals for those who’ve been convicted of extreme animal cruelty, add animal fighting to the list of racketeering crimes, ensure consistent, humane standards of care for breeding dogs and prohibit live animals as prizes in carnival games.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy