PHOENIX — Arizona ranks seventh in the nation when it comes effective animal protection laws, but advocates say there is always room for improvement.
“Animals need our protection, they don’t have a voice of their own,” said Kari Nienstedt, state director of the Humane Society of the United States.
People from around the state will meet with lawmakers on Tuesday, also known as Humane Day 2014, to lobby for better animal welfare laws. Attendees will be supporting bills that protect breeding dogs and those that stiffen penalties for abusers.
“Animal abuse is a community problem,” said Nienstedt. “There have been many studies over the past 20 years that show a strong link between animal abuse and human violence.”
Advocates are urging legislators to support legislation that would temporarily ban ownership of animals for those who’ve been convicted of extreme animal cruelty, add animal fighting to the list of racketeering crimes, ensure consistent, humane standards of care for breeding dogs and prohibit live animals as prizes in carnival games.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas