GLENDALE, Ariz. — First, Joe Hudy caught the eye of President Barack Obama at a White House science fair in 2012.
His extreme marshmallow cannon demonstration with the president helped catapult Hudy to rock star status among the “maker” community.
Then, first lady Michelle Obama invited him to join her box at last week’s State of the Union address.
“It was awesome, it was quite an experience, it was really fun,” Hudy said. “The people there were really nice.”
Hudy’s credo, “Don’t be bored, make something” captured the attention of Intel Chief Executive Officer Brian Krzanich. After Hudy spoke at a fair in Rome, Krzanich offered him a paid internship, making the 16-year-old the company’s youngest employee.
“My title is product development in the wearables department,” he said. “They told me I’d be working in the maker area with the new Galileo and Edison boards.”
So far, Hudy has only spent one day at Intel. He’ll spend more time there during breaks from classes at the Gary K. Herberger Young Scholars Academy at Arizona State University’s West campus and should have his own cubicle this summer. He continues to make things like LED cube shields and attend various fairs and conventions around the world.
While he spends a lot of time with people twice his age, Hudy remains focused on his generation.
“I want to get a lot more kids into the making community, show them the maker fairs and show them there’s a lot more opportunities out there for them,” he said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.