MESA, Ariz. — Even on the hottest topics cities have a hard time drumming up attendance for council meetings and other functions.
Someday there may be a way for residents give valuable input at those meetings without physically being there.
Mesa has teamed up with Arizona State University’s Polytechnic campus and Code for America on technology designed to engage the community with apps that will be based on public input.
Peter Welte is one of three Code of America Fellows who will spend February interviewing Mesa residents about their biggest concerns before designing web apps that connect the public with city government.
“You might be driving or walking down the street and see a sign asking ‘What do you think about (this issue)? Text your response to this number.’ And that would begin a text dialogue,” Welte said.
Mesa is among eight cities taking part in this year’s program. The apps should be unveiled within the next year.
“This really fits in with what we’re doing in Mesa. There’s one thing that can be said about Mesa is that we’ve embraced technology,” Mayor Scott Smith said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food