MESA, Ariz. — Need information about Gilbert Fire and Rescue? There’s an app for that, or at least there will be.
High school students from around the state gathered at Arizona State University’s Polytechnic campus in Mesa last week to learn the latest in mobile-application development. It was all part of the kickoff of the second annual Schools Participate in App Resource and Knowledge (SPARK) App League.
Under the direction of ASU assistant professor Ashish Amresh, students learned what goes into building a mobile app, from design and visualization to the final code implementation.
For the next three months, the students will work in teams to design and produce an app for Gilbert Fire and Rescue. In addition to having their app featured on the city’s app store, each winning team member will receive a $200 gift card, along with a trophy.
Amresh said the broader purpose of the contest is to introduce students from different backgrounds and demographics to technology that can help improve the quality of life for the residents of Gilbert.
“Access to technology and building technology skills is not something that they need to be stonewalled by. It’s something that’s very simple and very accessible,” Amresh said. “They just have to put their mind to it and it’s an easy platform to get into.”
As many as 250 students participated, up significantly from 70 last year. So many students were interested in going to the app conference that many were unable to attend the launch.
“There are many teams that couldn’t come here because we have a limit of 300 students, so there’s about 80 to 90 other students who are on the waiting list and more are signing up as we speak,” Amresh said.
Joseph Mathew, one of five boys on a team from Chandler High School, said it was his first time working collectively on coding.
“Basically, I wanted to join so I could apply my skills and find out what the workplace is like in regards to development of apps,” he said.
The winning team will be announced May 1 at the Polytechnic campus.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier