PHOENIX — If some state politicians get their way, you could end up seeing a wider variety of animals in your neighborhood.
If approved, Senate Bill 1151 would prevent cities and counties from banning backyard fowl.
Right now, some Valley communities limit the number of chickens homeowners can have on their property, while others prohibit urban chickens altogether.
Last summer, Chandler councilmembers voted against allowing chickens in backyards. Opponents said they worried about avian flu, the smell and noises.
Supporters point to the health benefits of fresh eggs and say properly maintained coops create no strong odors. They also say dogs are often much nosier than chickens.
While allowing all homeowners to have chickens, SB 1151 would still permit cities and counties to limit the number thereof and to ban roosters that make noise.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon