PHOENIX — A local business leader has weighed in on a set of standards released by House Republicans for the potential future of the nation’s immigration system.
“We’re excited about the progress,” said Glenn Hamer, CEO and president of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry. “Arizona being a border state would benefit greatly. We would have greater access to employees from all countries. In the business community, we feel this would be rocket fuel for our economy.”
According to Politico, House Speaker John Boehner’s leadership team introduced some guiding principles at its annual policy retreat. Top Republicans circulated a tightly held, one-page memo titled “Standards for Immigration Reform” toward the end of a day that included strategy conversations about the Affordable Care Act, the economy and the national debt.
Boehner’s team discussed methods to reform the nation’s immigration system in a way that secures the border, meets the needs of employers and addresses legalization — including citizenship for so-called DREAMers.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments