PHOENIX — A new national report ranked Arizona 32nd in its performance for disclosing key outcomes of economic development subsidies.
The findings of “Show Us the Subsidized Jobs,” a report issued Friday by Good Jobs First — a nonprofit, nonpartisan research center based in Washington, D.C. — reveals that all but four states now post at least partial information online showing which companies are receiving economic development subsidies. But the quality and depth of those disclosures vary widely, both among and within states. Three-fourths of major state development programs still fail to disclose actual jobs created or workers trained, and only one out of every eleven programs discloses wages actually paid.
“Every year, Arizona hands out tens of millions of dollars to private businesses, and it comes in the form of grants and tax credits,” said Serena Unrein, public interest advocate for Arizona Public Interest Group. “The public deserves to how those tax monies are being spent and what the results are and if we’re getting good bang for our taxpayer buck.”
The state of Arizona has a spending transparency website. However, not all is revealed.
“A lot of the incentives that have been created for economic development aren’t included, so we just don’t know what we are getting for the subsidies we are giving these companies,” said Unrein. “The first thing that lawmakers need to do is to change a law which prevents disclosure of who’s receiving tax credits.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon