PHOENIX — Valley doctors are expressing concern about electronic cigarettes.
E-cigs use water vapor instead of smoke to deliver nicotine, and many people think they’re healthier than regular cigarettes.
But at the Banner Good Samaritan Poison and Drug Information Center, doctors are worried that people, especially children, are swallowing the liquid nicotine.
“Many of them come with refills that don’t come in child proof containers,” said Dr. Frank Lovecchio. “The refills are typically very tasty, with flavors such as chocolate and vanilla. Flavors that tend to appeal to a younger user.”
Lovecchio said that the center has seen an increase in children needing treatment after being poisoned by the liquid nicotine.
“In 2011 we had 0 cases, in 2012 we had about 4 cases, and in 2013 we had 13 or so,” said Lovecchio.
Lovecchio also noted that kids can die from swallowing the amount of nicotine that is in two regular cigarettes, but the amount of liquid nicotine in one e-cigarette is equivalent to about ten packs of regular cigarettes.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier