PHOENIX — Valley doctors are expressing concern about electronic cigarettes.
E-cigs use water vapor instead of smoke to deliver nicotine, and many people think they’re healthier than regular cigarettes.
But at the Banner Good Samaritan Poison and Drug Information Center, doctors are worried that people, especially children, are swallowing the liquid nicotine.
“Many of them come with refills that don’t come in child proof containers,” said Dr. Frank Lovecchio. “The refills are typically very tasty, with flavors such as chocolate and vanilla. Flavors that tend to appeal to a younger user.”
Lovecchio said that the center has seen an increase in children needing treatment after being poisoned by the liquid nicotine.
“In 2011 we had 0 cases, in 2012 we had about 4 cases, and in 2013 we had 13 or so,” said Lovecchio.
Lovecchio also noted that kids can die from swallowing the amount of nicotine that is in two regular cigarettes, but the amount of liquid nicotine in one e-cigarette is equivalent to about ten packs of regular cigarettes.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food