PHOENIX — At 5:40 p.m. MST Friday night, officials with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call at a Wal-Mart in the San Tan Valley, where three alleged shoppers were loading plastic bins with stolen merchandise from the store.
After the call was made, the three shoppers were seen running toward a vehicle, described later as a red Pontiac Grand Am.
Upon arrival at the scene, a PCSO deputy witnessed 22-year-old Miguel Nino running towards the vehicle. The officer then parked his motorcycle in front of the suspects’ vehicle in an effort to stop their movement.
After seeing the bin of stolen merchandise in the back seat of the car, the deputy handcuffed a 16-year-old male passenger before dealing with Nino.
However, at the point in which the officer began to deal with Nino in the driver’s side of the vehicle, the handcuffed male passenger managed to run through the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Nino, then, grabbed the keys to the vehicle and sped off, nearly running over the deputy, who still was by the driver’s side.
With the help of other PCSO patrol deputies, the vehicle was eventually located in the area of Sierra Vista Road and Bella Vista Road after a 45-minute pursuit.
Upon being discovered, Nino and the lone female passenger, identified as 19-year-old Lynasie Connally ran off to hide.
A K-9 unit was called to the scene, and around 45 minutes after the time they had initially fled, the two passengers were found in a thick bush and promptly arrested.
According to an official with the PCSO, deputies recovered $334 worth of stolen merchandise, ammunition rounds and a methamphetamine pipe.
Nino was booked into the Pinal County Jail for aggravated assault on a peaceful officer, resisting arrest, unlawful fight, reckless driving, aggravated DUI, shoplifting and possession of stolen property.
Connelly was also booked in the PCSO County Jail for shoplifting an aggravated assault.
The handcuffed 16-year-old was also later found, arrested and booked for shoplifting escape and trespassing.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them