PHOENIX — At 5:40 p.m. MST Friday night, officials with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call at a Wal-Mart in the San Tan Valley, where three alleged shoppers were loading plastic bins with stolen merchandise from the store.
After the call was made, the three shoppers were seen running toward a vehicle, described later as a red Pontiac Grand Am.
Upon arrival at the scene, a PCSO deputy witnessed 22-year-old Miguel Nino running towards the vehicle. The officer then parked his motorcycle in front of the suspects’ vehicle in an effort to stop their movement.
After seeing the bin of stolen merchandise in the back seat of the car, the deputy handcuffed a 16-year-old male passenger before dealing with Nino.
However, at the point in which the officer began to deal with Nino in the driver’s side of the vehicle, the handcuffed male passenger managed to run through the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Nino, then, grabbed the keys to the vehicle and sped off, nearly running over the deputy, who still was by the driver’s side.
With the help of other PCSO patrol deputies, the vehicle was eventually located in the area of Sierra Vista Road and Bella Vista Road after a 45-minute pursuit.
Upon being discovered, Nino and the lone female passenger, identified as 19-year-old Lynasie Connally ran off to hide.
A K-9 unit was called to the scene, and around 45 minutes after the time they had initially fled, the two passengers were found in a thick bush and promptly arrested.
According to an official with the PCSO, deputies recovered $334 worth of stolen merchandise, ammunition rounds and a methamphetamine pipe.
Nino was booked into the Pinal County Jail for aggravated assault on a peaceful officer, resisting arrest, unlawful fight, reckless driving, aggravated DUI, shoplifting and possession of stolen property.
Connelly was also booked in the PCSO County Jail for shoplifting an aggravated assault.
The handcuffed 16-year-old was also later found, arrested and booked for shoplifting escape and trespassing.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas