PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters are crediting a group of men with saving their neighbor’s life. Captain Ruben Saavedra told KTAR if the men hadn’t taken action, he believes the neighbor would have died in the house.
The fire broke out a little before 1:00 a.m. MST Sunday near 46th Avenue and Cactus Road. Saavedra says the group broke open a door and window and found the 67-year-old man lying on the floor lifeless in the front of the house.
“They started screaming, acknowledging to the patient to get up,” Saavedra said. “The patient woke up, saw them. I think that really woke him up and gave him the motivation he needed to get out of there.”
Saavedra noted that the men carried the victim out of the house.
“I spoke with one gentleman and you could tell he was still very worked up over the incident,” said Saavedra. “He didn’t want to speak to the media. These men here they definitely stepped up, and put their lives in harm’s way and they truly did some heroic acts so again we’d like to commend them and thank them for the great job they did and now all we’re hoping for is that the victim is able to survive this incident.”
The victim, whose name has not been released, suffered extensive second and third-degree burns. At last check, he was in critical condition. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development