PHOENIX — A Chandler woman was arrested Thursday on suspicion of injecting fecal matter into her husband’s IV while he was recovering from surgery, police said.
The unidentified 66-year-old victim was recovering at Chandler Regional Hospital when alarms on his monitoring machines sounded. Employees came into the room and found that his wife, Rosemary Vogel, had allegedly manipulated his IV, which was full of brown fluid.
Workers removed the IV immediately. Vogel allegedly attempted to drain the brown fluid into a waste basket but a nurse intervened.
A lab test later showed the brown liquid contained fecal matter. Three syringes, two containing the same liquid, were found in Vogel’s purse.
Investigators plan to conduct forensic tests on all the materials involved over
the next week or two, police Sgt. Joe Favazzo said However, the hospital had to
test the brown substance in the IV line immediately for treatment purposes.
“The lab came back with fecal matter,” he said.
The incident occurred after the 66-year-old man had undergone a heart
procedure. He’s expected to survive that, as well as the alleged attempt on his
Vogel declined to be interviewed by police and asked for an attorney. Favazzo
said he didn’t know whether she has one yet. Her bond was set at $100,000 at her
initial court appearance Friday for an attempted first-degree murder charge.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them