PHOENIX — A Chandler woman was arrested Thursday on suspicion of injecting fecal matter into her husband’s IV while he was recovering from surgery, police said.
The unidentified 66-year-old victim was recovering at Chandler Regional Hospital when alarms on his monitoring machines sounded. Employees came into the room and found that his wife, Rosemary Vogel, had allegedly manipulated his IV, which was full of brown fluid.
Workers removed the IV immediately. Vogel allegedly attempted to drain the brown fluid into a waste basket but a nurse intervened.
A lab test later showed the brown liquid contained fecal matter. Three syringes, two containing the same liquid, were found in Vogel’s purse.
Investigators plan to conduct forensic tests on all the materials involved over
the next week or two, police Sgt. Joe Favazzo said However, the hospital had to
test the brown substance in the IV line immediately for treatment purposes.
“The lab came back with fecal matter,” he said.
The incident occurred after the 66-year-old man had undergone a heart
procedure. He’s expected to survive that, as well as the alleged attempt on his
Vogel declined to be interviewed by police and asked for an attorney. Favazzo
said he didn’t know whether she has one yet. Her bond was set at $100,000 at her
initial court appearance Friday for an attempted first-degree murder charge.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.