PHOENIX — It’s been a warm, dry January around the state of Arizona.
The National Weather Service said, with the exception of Jan. 10, every day of the month has seen above-normal temperatures in Phoenix. Since Jan. 13, every day has been 70 or above with a peak of 81 on Jan. 21.
Friday’s forecast calls for 69 degrees, which would equal the normal temperature for this day. If that holds up, January 2014 will go down in the books as a month with no days with below normal temperatures.
Sky Harbor hasn’t had rain since Dec. 20 and Flagstaff is just as dry.
It had been 39 consecutive days without any precipitation, dating back to Dec. 21, tying the city’s winter dry-spell record which was set in 1917.
A trace of mixed snow and rain at the Flagstaff airport busted the streak Thursday. A trace of moisture is usually not a cause for celebration, but with some of the worst snowfall rates in a century, Ben Peterson with the National Weather Service said this has been a long time coming.
“I’ve been here 15 years and we’ve had a couple of streaks that pushed this record but nothing like this,” he said.
Flagstaff will get more snow Friday. Peterson said this storm doesn’t hold a lot, but when you’ve gone without precipitation this long they’ll take every drop they can get.
Sunrise Park near Greer, Ariz. is also hoping for fresh snow this weekend.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon