PHOENIX — It’s been a warm, dry January around the state of Arizona.
The National Weather Service said, with the exception of Jan. 10, every day of the month has seen above-normal temperatures in Phoenix. Since Jan. 13, every day has been 70 or above with a peak of 81 on Jan. 21.
Friday’s forecast calls for 69 degrees, which would equal the normal temperature for this day. If that holds up, January 2014 will go down in the books as a month with no days with below normal temperatures.
Sky Harbor hasn’t had rain since Dec. 20 and Flagstaff is just as dry.
It had been 39 consecutive days without any precipitation, dating back to Dec. 21, tying the city’s winter dry-spell record which was set in 1917.
A trace of mixed snow and rain at the Flagstaff airport busted the streak Thursday. A trace of moisture is usually not a cause for celebration, but with some of the worst snowfall rates in a century, Ben Peterson with the National Weather Service said this has been a long time coming.
“I’ve been here 15 years and we’ve had a couple of streaks that pushed this record but nothing like this,” he said.
Flagstaff will get more snow Friday. Peterson said this storm doesn’t hold a lot, but when you’ve gone without precipitation this long they’ll take every drop they can get.
Sunrise Park near Greer, Ariz. is also hoping for fresh snow this weekend.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night