PHOENIX — It’s been a warm, dry January around the state of Arizona.
The National Weather Service said, with the exception of Jan. 10, every day of the month has seen above-normal temperatures in Phoenix. Since Jan. 13, every day has been 70 or above with a peak of 81 on Jan. 21.
Friday’s forecast calls for 69 degrees, which would equal the normal temperature for this day. If that holds up, January 2014 will go down in the books as a month with no days with below normal temperatures.
Sky Harbor hasn’t had rain since Dec. 20 and Flagstaff is just as dry.
It had been 39 consecutive days without any precipitation, dating back to Dec. 21, tying the city’s winter dry-spell record which was set in 1917.
A trace of mixed snow and rain at the Flagstaff airport busted the streak Thursday. A trace of moisture is usually not a cause for celebration, but with some of the worst snowfall rates in a century, Ben Peterson with the National Weather Service said this has been a long time coming.
“I’ve been here 15 years and we’ve had a couple of streaks that pushed this record but nothing like this,” he said.
Flagstaff will get more snow Friday. Peterson said this storm doesn’t hold a lot, but when you’ve gone without precipitation this long they’ll take every drop they can get.
Sunrise Park near Greer, Ariz. is also hoping for fresh snow this weekend.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns