PHOENIX — A coalition of 40 groups is teaming up to teach people about Arizona’s new version of Common Core education standards — which are meant to replace the AIMS test.
The Arizona Aims Higher Campaign was designed after a poll showed that 58 percent of Arizonans don’t know much about the standards. Pearl Chang Esau of the education support group Expect More Arizona said a lot of people don’t understand the standards.
“Some folks have a concern that they are a federal takeover of education when we should have local control,” Esau said. “In Arizona, we would be the last to say we should let go of local control.”
In Arizona, the common core standards have been renamed the Arizona College and Career Ready standards, and will be developed with leadership and advice from Arizona educators.
Even though people don’t know much about the standards, Esau’s group claims that 67 percent of Arizonans support them.
The Arizona Aims Higher campaign is designed to teach people about the standards and the tests that go with them.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food