PHOENIX — A coalition of 40 groups is teaming up to teach people about Arizona’s new version of Common Core education standards — which are meant to replace the AIMS test.
The Arizona Aims Higher Campaign was designed after a poll showed that 58 percent of Arizonans don’t know much about the standards. Pearl Chang Esau of the education support group Expect More Arizona said a lot of people don’t understand the standards.
“Some folks have a concern that they are a federal takeover of education when we should have local control,” Esau said. “In Arizona, we would be the last to say we should let go of local control.”
In Arizona, the common core standards have been renamed the Arizona College and Career Ready standards, and will be developed with leadership and advice from Arizona educators.
Even though people don’t know much about the standards, Esau’s group claims that 67 percent of Arizonans support them.
The Arizona Aims Higher campaign is designed to teach people about the standards and the tests that go with them.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns