PHOENIX — A new survey said that Arizona is one of the worst states in the country when it comes to financial security.
The news isn’t good.
“45.7 percent of Arizona households are in a persistent state of financial insecurity,” said Cynthia Zwick, the Director of the Arizona Community Action Association. “They really have barely enough financial resources to get by in the event of an emergency.”
A new survey by the Corporation for Enterprise Development also ranks Arizona 39th among the 50 states when it comes to the financial security of residents.
Zwick said there are a couple of reasons why.
“Arizona really has not come back from the recession. We are still seeing a really high unemployment rate,” said Zwick. “We are not investing in safety net programs in this state that support families through a crisis.”
Zwick noted that preventing predatory lending like auto title loans and raising the minimum wage to between 10 and 14 dollars an hour could help families start to succeed in Arizona.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night