PHOENIX — A new survey said that Arizona is one of the worst states in the country when it comes to financial security.
The news isn’t good.
“45.7 percent of Arizona households are in a persistent state of financial insecurity,” said Cynthia Zwick, the Director of the Arizona Community Action Association. “They really have barely enough financial resources to get by in the event of an emergency.”
A new survey by the Corporation for Enterprise Development also ranks Arizona 39th among the 50 states when it comes to the financial security of residents.
Zwick said there are a couple of reasons why.
“Arizona really has not come back from the recession. We are still seeing a really high unemployment rate,” said Zwick. “We are not investing in safety net programs in this state that support families through a crisis.”
Zwick noted that preventing predatory lending like auto title loans and raising the minimum wage to between 10 and 14 dollars an hour could help families start to succeed in Arizona.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier