PHOENIX — Rather than reaching for the typical cheese pairing to go with a bottle of wine, it’s a unique time of year to try something different.
While Girl Scout cookies are out-and-about, it might be a good chance to pair a seasonal cookie with a special wine.
Sam Pillsbury, owner of Pillsbury Wine Company based in Willcox, Ariz., noted that there are actually some nice combinations to try.
According to Pillsbury, Arizona is like an untapped well of quality wines and variety, and gave his recommendations for some wines that go well with common Girl Scout cookies.
He said white wines are a good place to start when attempting to pair some of the lighter cookies, such as Trefoil Shortbreads or Savannah Smiles.
“I think if you went into your grocery store and ask for a medium Riesling or medium (Gewurztraminer) you’ll probably find that would pair quite well,” Pillsbury said.
For the heavier and chocolate-based cookies, such as Tagalongs and Thin Mints, Pillsbury suggested a red wine such as a Petite Sirah will likely work best.
“This Petite Sirah with this Thin Mint, with the chocolate cookie and the peppermint, it actually balances out quite well,” he said. “We often find winemaker dinners at restaurants, that we will serve a dry red, a Petite Sirah, with something like a chocolate soufflé for desert and it work really quite well.”
Pillsbury said the Samoa was somewhat of an anomaly though. He assumed the chocolate coated bottom would go well with another red wine, but decided the coconut in the cookie made it better with a white.
“I don’t think that a red wine goes with it,” he said. “I would definitely go with a sweeter, fruitier white with a Samoa.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas