PHOENIX — Rather than reaching for the typical cheese pairing to go with a bottle of wine, it’s a unique time of year to try something different.
While Girl Scout cookies are out-and-about, it might be a good chance to pair a seasonal cookie with a special wine.
Sam Pillsbury, owner of Pillsbury Wine Company based in Willcox, Ariz., noted that there are actually some nice combinations to try.
According to Pillsbury, Arizona is like an untapped well of quality wines and variety, and gave his recommendations for some wines that go well with common Girl Scout cookies.
He said white wines are a good place to start when attempting to pair some of the lighter cookies, such as Trefoil Shortbreads or Savannah Smiles.
“I think if you went into your grocery store and ask for a medium Riesling or medium (Gewurztraminer) you’ll probably find that would pair quite well,” Pillsbury said.
For the heavier and chocolate-based cookies, such as Tagalongs and Thin Mints, Pillsbury suggested a red wine such as a Petite Sirah will likely work best.
“This Petite Sirah with this Thin Mint, with the chocolate cookie and the peppermint, it actually balances out quite well,” he said. “We often find winemaker dinners at restaurants, that we will serve a dry red, a Petite Sirah, with something like a chocolate soufflé for desert and it work really quite well.”
Pillsbury said the Samoa was somewhat of an anomaly though. He assumed the chocolate coated bottom would go well with another red wine, but decided the coconut in the cookie made it better with a white.
“I don’t think that a red wine goes with it,” he said. “I would definitely go with a sweeter, fruitier white with a Samoa.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever