PHOENIX — Rather than reaching for the typical cheese pairing to go with a bottle of wine, it’s a unique time of year to try something different.
While Girl Scout cookies are out-and-about, it might be a good chance to pair a seasonal cookie with a special wine.
Sam Pillsbury, owner of Pillsbury Wine Company based in Willcox, Ariz., noted that there are actually some nice combinations to try.
According to Pillsbury, Arizona is like an untapped well of quality wines and variety, and gave his recommendations for some wines that go well with common Girl Scout cookies.
He said white wines are a good place to start when attempting to pair some of the lighter cookies, such as Trefoil Shortbreads or Savannah Smiles.
“I think if you went into your grocery store and ask for a medium Riesling or medium (Gewurztraminer) you’ll probably find that would pair quite well,” Pillsbury said.
For the heavier and chocolate-based cookies, such as Tagalongs and Thin Mints, Pillsbury suggested a red wine such as a Petite Sirah will likely work best.
“This Petite Sirah with this Thin Mint, with the chocolate cookie and the peppermint, it actually balances out quite well,” he said. “We often find winemaker dinners at restaurants, that we will serve a dry red, a Petite Sirah, with something like a chocolate soufflé for desert and it work really quite well.”
Pillsbury said the Samoa was somewhat of an anomaly though. He assumed the chocolate coated bottom would go well with another red wine, but decided the coconut in the cookie made it better with a white.
“I don’t think that a red wine goes with it,” he said. “I would definitely go with a sweeter, fruitier white with a Samoa.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night