PHOENIX — Rather than reaching for the typical cheese pairing to go with a bottle of wine, it’s a unique time of year to try something different.
While Girl Scout cookies are out-and-about, it might be a good chance to pair a seasonal cookie with a special wine.
Sam Pillsbury, owner of Pillsbury Wine Company based in Willcox, Ariz., noted that there are actually some nice combinations to try.
According to Pillsbury, Arizona is like an untapped well of quality wines and variety, and gave his recommendations for some wines that go well with common Girl Scout cookies.
He said white wines are a good place to start when attempting to pair some of the lighter cookies, such as Trefoil Shortbreads or Savannah Smiles.
“I think if you went into your grocery store and ask for a medium Riesling or medium (Gewurztraminer) you’ll probably find that would pair quite well,” Pillsbury said.
For the heavier and chocolate-based cookies, such as Tagalongs and Thin Mints, Pillsbury suggested a red wine such as a Petite Sirah will likely work best.
“This Petite Sirah with this Thin Mint, with the chocolate cookie and the peppermint, it actually balances out quite well,” he said. “We often find winemaker dinners at restaurants, that we will serve a dry red, a Petite Sirah, with something like a chocolate soufflé for desert and it work really quite well.”
Pillsbury said the Samoa was somewhat of an anomaly though. He assumed the chocolate coated bottom would go well with another red wine, but decided the coconut in the cookie made it better with a white.
“I don’t think that a red wine goes with it,” he said. “I would definitely go with a sweeter, fruitier white with a Samoa.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets