PHOENIX — Rather than reaching for the typical cheese pairing to go with a bottle of wine, it’s a unique time of year to try something different.
While Girl Scout cookies are out-and-about, it might be a good chance to pair a seasonal cookie with a special wine.
Sam Pillsbury, owner of Pillsbury Wine Company based in Willcox, Ariz., noted that there are actually some nice combinations to try.
According to Pillsbury, Arizona is like an untapped well of quality wines and variety, and gave his recommendations for some wines that go well with common Girl Scout cookies.
He said white wines are a good place to start when attempting to pair some of the lighter cookies, such as Trefoil Shortbreads or Savannah Smiles.
“I think if you went into your grocery store and ask for a medium Riesling or medium (Gewurztraminer) you’ll probably find that would pair quite well,” Pillsbury said.
For the heavier and chocolate-based cookies, such as Tagalongs and Thin Mints, Pillsbury suggested a red wine such as a Petite Sirah will likely work best.
“This Petite Sirah with this Thin Mint, with the chocolate cookie and the peppermint, it actually balances out quite well,” he said. “We often find winemaker dinners at restaurants, that we will serve a dry red, a Petite Sirah, with something like a chocolate soufflé for desert and it work really quite well.”
Pillsbury said the Samoa was somewhat of an anomaly though. He assumed the chocolate coated bottom would go well with another red wine, but decided the coconut in the cookie made it better with a white.
“I don’t think that a red wine goes with it,” he said. “I would definitely go with a sweeter, fruitier white with a Samoa.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development