PHOENIX — Like Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff, Sunrise Park has been been able to stay open this winter thanks to snowmaking equipment.
Sunrise General Manager Brian Bressel said it has been almost two months since it has snowed there and they’ve been able to keep 80 percent of the mountain open. A good weekend storm could allow them to fully open the slopes.
“What it will do is improve the surfaces of the areas that are open,” he said. “That surface has been pretty firm without the natural snow, even though we’ve been grooming the heck out of it.”
Bressel said this has been the third driest winter in 110 years. Just 22 inches of natural snow has hit the hill so far.
“We should be well over 110 inches of snow by now. Usually we get about 280 to 320 inches for the season.”
Bresell said the resort hopes to be open until Easter.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development