PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix made history Thursday after naming a woman to take over as acting chief of its fire department.
Kara Kalkbrenner was named the city’s first female acting fire chief.
Kalkbrenner first joined the department in 1985 and has risen through the ranks. In her previous position as Executive Assistant Chief of Administration, she oversaw the department’s $300 million budget and acted as a liaison to both city and educational officials.
Her husband, Kevin, is an assistant fire chief with the city of Phoenix.
Former Phoenix Fire Chief Bob Khan confirmed he would be retiring effective Feb. 28 on Wednesday. He said he was leaving the department to care for his elderly father.
“My dad has Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, and has been asking me to retire,” he told KTAR.
Khan said he was essentially serving as a part-time chief because of his concern over his father.
“The care and comfort that I’ve been trying to give to my dad is emotionally draining, to be blunt,” he said. “I was half here. I have been half here for a couple of months. I don’t think it’s fair to the city to be half of a fire chief. I don’t think it’s right to keep a job when I am not able to completely devote myself. That would be against everything I’ve done for over three decades.”
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this story.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon