PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix made history Thursday after naming a woman to take over as acting chief of its fire department.
Kara Kalkbrenner was named the city’s first female acting fire chief.
Kalkbrenner first joined the department in 1985 and has risen through the ranks. In her previous position as Executive Assistant Chief of Administration, she oversaw the department’s $300 million budget and acted as a liaison to both city and educational officials.
Her husband, Kevin, is an assistant fire chief with the city of Phoenix.
Former Phoenix Fire Chief Bob Khan confirmed he would be retiring effective Feb. 28 on Wednesday. He said he was leaving the department to care for his elderly father.
“My dad has Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, and has been asking me to retire,” he told KTAR.
Khan said he was essentially serving as a part-time chief because of his concern over his father.
“The care and comfort that I’ve been trying to give to my dad is emotionally draining, to be blunt,” he said. “I was half here. I have been half here for a couple of months. I don’t think it’s fair to the city to be half of a fire chief. I don’t think it’s right to keep a job when I am not able to completely devote myself. That would be against everything I’ve done for over three decades.”
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this story.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.