PHOENIX — Over 200 workers spent hours Thursday in front of Phoenix City Hall expressing their frustration with city management over the financial fiasco that they claim will ultimately lead to cuts in programs and services because of a multimillion dollar deficit.
“My members have done 18 furlough days so far and now they’re saying we’re going to continue getting furloughed while upper management get raises and while politicians have their pet projects,” said American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 2960 President Frank Piccioli.
Union members marched on Washington Street, while many accused city leaders of being corrupt and balancing the budget on the backs of city employees.
“We just got our water bill with a letter attached,” said FSCME Local 2384 President Luis Schmidt. “The City said they were doing great financially, that we had the biggest contingency fund ever. It’s just puzzling. It’s frustrating and demoralizing.
Last year, the former city manager said the budget would be balanced, he could cut the food tax with it affecting services. He got a big pay raise for it and now this deficit, it seems like he fluffed the numbers.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets