SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — More than a half-million golf fans are expected to attend the Waste Management Phoenix Open at the TPC this weekend.
New security ground rules await spectators at the popular event, which got underway early Thursday morning.
People were being wanded as they entered and banned items include backpacks, binoculars, cameras, fanny packs, large purses and diaper bags.
Anyone who shows up with said items will be given a clear plastic bag to store their items and in return they will get a claim check for the original case that can be turned in at the end of the day.
“The security has been great. I’ve never been to the tournament before so that’s how it is. Safety first,” said Heidi Wengle, who is visiting from Denver.
Gloria McBride had to transfer the contents of her purse to a plastic bag and was just fine with that.
“I agree with this security and have no problem with it. I knew I’d get a plastic bag here so I followed the rules. It was painless, simple,” she said.
The tournament runs through Sunday.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier