SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — More than a half-million golf fans are expected to attend the Waste Management Phoenix Open at the TPC this weekend.
New security ground rules await spectators at the popular event, which got underway early Thursday morning.
People were being wanded as they entered and banned items include backpacks, binoculars, cameras, fanny packs, large purses and diaper bags.
Anyone who shows up with said items will be given a clear plastic bag to store their items and in return they will get a claim check for the original case that can be turned in at the end of the day.
“The security has been great. I’ve never been to the tournament before so that’s how it is. Safety first,” said Heidi Wengle, who is visiting from Denver.
Gloria McBride had to transfer the contents of her purse to a plastic bag and was just fine with that.
“I agree with this security and have no problem with it. I knew I’d get a plastic bag here so I followed the rules. It was painless, simple,” she said.
The tournament runs through Sunday.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick