PHOENIX — Seven public-safety employees from Glendale have made their way to New York for the Super Bowl, but it’s not to watch the game.
Instead, they’ll be watching how New York City handles security for the event. The trip is part of Glendale’s preparation for hosting the 2015 game.
“They will be meeting with their counterparts and visiting the emergency operations centers and the joint operations centers,” said Glendale Police Sgt. Jay O’Neil. “They’ll be talking about logistics and event locations. On game day, they’ll be attending some of the pre-game briefings and operations, that kind of thing.”
The group, which included four officers, arrived Wednesday, and as soon as they got there, one of them posted on Twitter about the weather.
“She arrived in New Jersey and it was 21 degrees, so a little bit different than our climate, but I’m sure she’s prepared,” O’Neil said.
The group is there to watch and learn.
“They need to gain firsthand knowledge, information and experience about any new security protocols or best practices that have come about,” O’Neil said.
He said that situations have changed since Glendale hosted the Super Bowl in 2008.
“We’ve had the Boston Marathon bombings since then,” said O’Neil. “There are always changes to public safety and these events, and we need to make sure that we stay on top of those changes.”
The officers will take what they learn in New York and incorporate it into the security planning for next year’s game in Glendale. Earlier this month, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the city was sending a similar team to New York this week.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them