PHOENIX — Seven public-safety employees from Glendale have made their way to New York for the Super Bowl, but it’s not to watch the game.
Instead, they’ll be watching how New York City handles security for the event. The trip is part of Glendale’s preparation for hosting the 2015 game.
“They will be meeting with their counterparts and visiting the emergency operations centers and the joint operations centers,” said Glendale Police Sgt. Jay O’Neil. “They’ll be talking about logistics and event locations. On game day, they’ll be attending some of the pre-game briefings and operations, that kind of thing.”
The group, which included four officers, arrived Wednesday, and as soon as they got there, one of them posted on Twitter about the weather.
“She arrived in New Jersey and it was 21 degrees, so a little bit different than our climate, but I’m sure she’s prepared,” O’Neil said.
The group is there to watch and learn.
“They need to gain firsthand knowledge, information and experience about any new security protocols or best practices that have come about,” O’Neil said.
He said that situations have changed since Glendale hosted the Super Bowl in 2008.
“We’ve had the Boston Marathon bombings since then,” said O’Neil. “There are always changes to public safety and these events, and we need to make sure that we stay on top of those changes.”
The officers will take what they learn in New York and incorporate it into the security planning for next year’s game in Glendale. Earlier this month, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the city was sending a similar team to New York this week.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns