TEMPE, Ariz. — One day after his State of the Union address, President Obama went shopping to prove that companies can pay their workers more money.
He visited a Costco store in the Washington, D.C. area to praise the company for paying higher than the minimum wage.
“Entry level employees here (at Costco), including stock associates and cashiers, start at $11.50 an hour,” he said.
At the Costco in Tempe, a cashier who wished to remain anonymous said there is more to the story than that.
While the store pays $11.50, he complained that Costco works its employees too hard. He said that his store has a high turnover rate and is understaffed, leading to a heavier work load for those that still work there.
Obama said if American companies start to pay their workers more, that would change.
“I guarantee that if workers had a little more money in their pocket, they’ll spend more at Costco,” the president said. “And if Costco starts seeing more customers, they’ll start hiring some more folk.”
One customer at the Tempe store thinks Costco treats its employees right. Mary Anderson said she has shopped there for years.
“I’ve just thought it was great,” she said. “I’ve watched a lot of the kids put themselves through college.”
Anderson said that employee treatment is one thing that keeps her shopping at Costco instead of the Walmart across the street.
“I don’t like the way they treat their employees, and I don’t like some of the products they import,” she said. “Even though some of Costco’s products are imported, I still like them better.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.