TEMPE, Ariz. — One day after his State of the Union address, President Obama went shopping to prove that companies can pay their workers more money.
He visited a Costco store in the Washington, D.C. area to praise the company for paying higher than the minimum wage.
“Entry level employees here (at Costco), including stock associates and cashiers, start at $11.50 an hour,” he said.
At the Costco in Tempe, a cashier who wished to remain anonymous said there is more to the story than that.
While the store pays $11.50, he complained that Costco works its employees too hard. He said that his store has a high turnover rate and is understaffed, leading to a heavier work load for those that still work there.
Obama said if American companies start to pay their workers more, that would change.
“I guarantee that if workers had a little more money in their pocket, they’ll spend more at Costco,” the president said. “And if Costco starts seeing more customers, they’ll start hiring some more folk.”
One customer at the Tempe store thinks Costco treats its employees right. Mary Anderson said she has shopped there for years.
“I’ve just thought it was great,” she said. “I’ve watched a lot of the kids put themselves through college.”
Anderson said that employee treatment is one thing that keeps her shopping at Costco instead of the Walmart across the street.
“I don’t like the way they treat their employees, and I don’t like some of the products they import,” she said. “Even though some of Costco’s products are imported, I still like them better.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy