PHOENIX — Phoenix Fire Chief Bob Khan confirmed he will be retiring on Wednesday.
He will fulfill his role until Feb. 28. His retirement will be announced Thursday at a press conference.
Khan was named Fire Chief on Aug. 1, 2006.
He was born and raised in Phoenix and is a graduate of Arizona State University. He spent 14 years on a truck before being named chief.
Khan has been an advocate for public safety in his time as chief. Under his eye, the city hit a two-decade low in drownings.
Khan is married and has two adoptive daughters.
The Phoenix Fire Department has more than 2,000 employees.
A date to choose the new chief has not been announced.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development