PHOENIX — As the federal government debates an immigration bill, one Arizona senator is reminding everyone that it must leave room for commerce.
“As part of immigration reform, you have to make sure you have a secure border in terms of illegal crossings, but you have a border that’s open for business,” Sen. Jeff Flake told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Wednesday.
And he’s not only pushing for a better border plan, but a fully-staffed border complete with both customs and Border Patrol officials.
Flake said trade, particularly with Mexico, has a massive effect on Arizona’s economy.
“For Arizona, there’s about $13 billion in trade that goes back and forth,” he said, adding that about 700,000 jobs in Arizona are trade-dependent.
Of course, an open trade agreement with Mexico does compromise some Arizona jobs because things can become cheaper, but Flake said that, by and large, the agreement has many more positives than negatives.
In addition to immigration reform, president Barack Obama is also pushing Congress to give him the authority to negotiate new trade deals.
“Traditionally, we will give the president the authority to negotiate trade deals and then agree, once that trade deal is done, to move it through Congress in an expedited way and just have one vote up or down,” he said of the way things usually work.
However, Flake is aware of the political atmosphere in D.C. and realizes that Obama needs Republican support to start making agreements.
“A lot of my colleagues don’t want to give the president any more money for anything,” he said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon