PHOENIX — As the federal government debates an immigration bill, one Arizona senator is reminding everyone that it must leave room for commerce.
“As part of immigration reform, you have to make sure you have a secure border in terms of illegal crossings, but you have a border that’s open for business,” Sen. Jeff Flake told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Wednesday.
And he’s not only pushing for a better border plan, but a fully-staffed border complete with both customs and Border Patrol officials.
Flake said trade, particularly with Mexico, has a massive effect on Arizona’s economy.
“For Arizona, there’s about $13 billion in trade that goes back and forth,” he said, adding that about 700,000 jobs in Arizona are trade-dependent.
Of course, an open trade agreement with Mexico does compromise some Arizona jobs because things can become cheaper, but Flake said that, by and large, the agreement has many more positives than negatives.
In addition to immigration reform, president Barack Obama is also pushing Congress to give him the authority to negotiate new trade deals.
“Traditionally, we will give the president the authority to negotiate trade deals and then agree, once that trade deal is done, to move it through Congress in an expedited way and just have one vote up or down,” he said of the way things usually work.
However, Flake is aware of the political atmosphere in D.C. and realizes that Obama needs Republican support to start making agreements.
“A lot of my colleagues don’t want to give the president any more money for anything,” he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier