PHOENIX — A new social media trend involving deportation is picking up steam.
According to Voxxi, the new trend features people adding blonde hair and blue eyes to their photos with the hashtag #undeportable, a clear jab at alleged racial profiling.
The trend kicked off after Canadian-born singer Justin Bieber was arrested and charged with drunken driving, among other things. Despite the possibility of Bieber’s via being revoked, most pundits feel that his wealth will prevent him being booted out of the United States.
Immigrant rights advocates from the #Undeportable campaign are going a step further than [journalist Ruben] Navarrete, suggesting Bieber is getting special treatment and might not be deported because of his celebrity status and because he is white.
As the debate around Bieber continues, the #undeportable movement is only expected to gain momentum.
— Evelin Damian (@EveDamian) January 28, 2014
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night