SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A group of local celebrities and sports legends gathered at TPC Scottsdale golf course for a nine-hole charity putting tournament benefitting the Special Olympics on Tuesday.
Ten Special Olympics athletes paired up with current and former members of Arizona Cardinals, Phoenix Suns and the Arizona Diamondbacks at the practice green near the 18th hole for the 2014 CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open.
“This is really special…these kids work so hard to get here and they’re true athletes,” said Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians. “They work as hard as the Cardinals work.”
Arians and his partner finished their round at two over par, just short of former Diamondback pitcher Randy Johnson and his partner, who won the tournament at one over.
Johnson said he was glad to be a part of the event and to support both the Special Olympics and the event’s organizer, the Thunderbirds.
“The Thunderbirds, who really organize the Phoenix Open, they do a great job,” he said. “This is an organization that gives back to local communities over $6 million annually.”
Even with so many skilled professional athletes involved, former Phoenix Sun Tom Chambers said the event is really about recognizing the Special Olympic athletes.
“It’s just about the kids, and the event and kicking off this golf tournament,” he said. “We have a tremendous time.”
The week is not over for Johnson and Arians though, as they will be among several others playing in Wednesday’s Pro-Am at TPC Scottsdale as well.
The event was capped off with the presentation of a $55,000 check given to Special Olympics Arizona.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets