SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A group of local celebrities and sports legends gathered at TPC Scottsdale golf course for a nine-hole charity putting tournament benefitting the Special Olympics on Tuesday.
Ten Special Olympics athletes paired up with current and former members of Arizona Cardinals, Phoenix Suns and the Arizona Diamondbacks at the practice green near the 18th hole for the 2014 CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open.
“This is really special…these kids work so hard to get here and they’re true athletes,” said Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians. “They work as hard as the Cardinals work.”
Arians and his partner finished their round at two over par, just short of former Diamondback pitcher Randy Johnson and his partner, who won the tournament at one over.
Johnson said he was glad to be a part of the event and to support both the Special Olympics and the event’s organizer, the Thunderbirds.
“The Thunderbirds, who really organize the Phoenix Open, they do a great job,” he said. “This is an organization that gives back to local communities over $6 million annually.”
Even with so many skilled professional athletes involved, former Phoenix Sun Tom Chambers said the event is really about recognizing the Special Olympic athletes.
“It’s just about the kids, and the event and kicking off this golf tournament,” he said. “We have a tremendous time.”
The week is not over for Johnson and Arians though, as they will be among several others playing in Wednesday’s Pro-Am at TPC Scottsdale as well.
The event was capped off with the presentation of a $55,000 check given to Special Olympics Arizona.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas