PHOENIX — While much of the nation has suffered through brutally cold temperatures and heavy snow this month, Arizona is closing out a bone-dry January.
Barring rain or snowfall by midnight Wednesday, Flagstaff will tie a record for the longest winter run without moisture at 39 days. That hasn’t happened since 1917.
The Valley hasn’t received measureable rain the entire month and the last time it rained was Dec. 20.
Austin Jamison with the National Weather Service said Sky Harbor usually receives .91 inches of rainfall in January.
“It’s not looking good for the Valley to get rainfall for the rest of January. Phoenix went rainless in January of 2006 and 2012. Before that, back in 1976.”
As dry as the Valley seems now, the Valley is far from record-breaking territory. Phoenix went 160 days without rainfall from Dec. 30, 1971 until June 6, 1972.
We also went without rainfall for 143 days between Oct. 19, 2005 to March 10, 2006.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain