PHOENIX — While much of the nation has suffered through brutally cold temperatures and heavy snow this month, Arizona is closing out a bone-dry January.
Barring rain or snowfall by midnight Wednesday, Flagstaff will tie a record for the longest winter run without moisture at 39 days. That hasn’t happened since 1917.
The Valley hasn’t received measureable rain the entire month and the last time it rained was Dec. 20.
Austin Jamison with the National Weather Service said Sky Harbor usually receives .91 inches of rainfall in January.
“It’s not looking good for the Valley to get rainfall for the rest of January. Phoenix went rainless in January of 2006 and 2012. Before that, back in 1976.”
As dry as the Valley seems now, the Valley is far from record-breaking territory. Phoenix went 160 days without rainfall from Dec. 30, 1971 until June 6, 1972.
We also went without rainfall for 143 days between Oct. 19, 2005 to March 10, 2006.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier