PHOENIX — While much of the nation has suffered through brutally cold temperatures and heavy snow this month, Arizona is closing out a bone-dry January.
Barring rain or snowfall by midnight Wednesday, Flagstaff will tie a record for the longest winter run without moisture at 39 days. That hasn’t happened since 1917.
The Valley hasn’t received measureable rain the entire month and the last time it rained was Dec. 20.
Austin Jamison with the National Weather Service said Sky Harbor usually receives .91 inches of rainfall in January.
“It’s not looking good for the Valley to get rainfall for the rest of January. Phoenix went rainless in January of 2006 and 2012. Before that, back in 1976.”
As dry as the Valley seems now, the Valley is far from record-breaking territory. Phoenix went 160 days without rainfall from Dec. 30, 1971 until June 6, 1972.
We also went without rainfall for 143 days between Oct. 19, 2005 to March 10, 2006.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon