PHOENIX — Hundreds of volunteers fanned out across the Valley for about three hours Tuesday morning on foot and by car as part of a massive effort to count homeless people sleeping on the streets.
Coordinated by the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG), the count utilizes volunteer teams that include city, county and state agencies, faith- and community-based organizations, businesses and private residents. The volunteers canvassed all areas to likely have homeless individuals who are living unsheltered on the streets. This included alleys and river bottom areas.
MAG said, last year, the street count identified 1,581 homeless men, women and children on the streets. The point-in-time count provides valuable data to help develop strategies to acquire the needed federal funding to end homelessness in the region.
Kenneth Curry, who heads up the homeless outreach team for Southwest Behavioral Health, said last year’s count is a fraction of the real numbers of people living on the streets.
“The volunteers will be trying to connect or reconnect the individuals with the services that they need. The main purpose is to get a direct count of people in need. The problem has gotten better but it is still a big challenge. The recession and economic downfall is still very much present.”
The street count is critical to securing millions of dollars in Continuum of Care Program homeless assistance funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) each year. The results are used in the Maricopa Association of Governments’ consolidated application to HUD to support homeless assistance programs.
HUD has provided more than $269 million in homeless assistance funding to the region since 1999.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas