PHOENIX — With three years left in his administration, Tuesday night’s speech by President Obama is being labeled by many as an attempt to jump-start his administration after a difficult 2013.
Those troubles included a botched rollout of the healthcare law, a government shutdown and NSA leaks. KTAR political analyst Mike O’Neil said he expected the president to play to his strengths by focusing on income equality and boosting the federal minimum wage.
“The minimum wage is highly popular,” O’Neil said. “Related themes would be more work on education and job training. He has broad swaths of the public behind him. These are the main things that I expect to be the focus of the speech along with income equality.
Conservative political strategist Stan Barnes said Obama has his work cut out for him.
“The outlook is pretty grim for presidential achievement in the next three years. His own party is already looking at Hillary Clinton and what she brings to the table.”
O’Neil believed the president could turn around his administration and score some political victories contingent on there being no more major problems with the implementation of health care.
“If you’re a democrat and you are facing a midterm election this year then you’re probably not bragging about the president,” Barnes said. “That’s a clear indication that something is politically wrong and I believe (the) speech will recognize that in its own subtle way.”
Barnes said the one issue that the president could have working in his favor is immigration reform because both parties have a stake in seeing it happening.
O’Neil doesn’t expect reform to be a major thrust of the speech but he believed the president will likely touch on the issue.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck