PHOENIX — With three years left in his administration, Tuesday night’s speech by President Obama is being labeled by many as an attempt to jump-start his administration after a difficult 2013.
Those troubles included a botched rollout of the healthcare law, a government shutdown and NSA leaks. KTAR political analyst Mike O’Neil said he expected the president to play to his strengths by focusing on income equality and boosting the federal minimum wage.
“The minimum wage is highly popular,” O’Neil said. “Related themes would be more work on education and job training. He has broad swaths of the public behind him. These are the main things that I expect to be the focus of the speech along with income equality.
Conservative political strategist Stan Barnes said Obama has his work cut out for him.
“The outlook is pretty grim for presidential achievement in the next three years. His own party is already looking at Hillary Clinton and what she brings to the table.”
O’Neil believed the president could turn around his administration and score some political victories contingent on there being no more major problems with the implementation of health care.
“If you’re a democrat and you are facing a midterm election this year then you’re probably not bragging about the president,” Barnes said. “That’s a clear indication that something is politically wrong and I believe (the) speech will recognize that in its own subtle way.”
Barnes said the one issue that the president could have working in his favor is immigration reform because both parties have a stake in seeing it happening.
O’Neil doesn’t expect reform to be a major thrust of the speech but he believed the president will likely touch on the issue.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick