A memorial park bench was dedicated this week to honor the life of Ronin, a Glendale Police K9, that was killed in the line of duty on June 20, 2013.
Officer Wes Zygmont was also wounded during the incident, and he said he chose the park because that was where he spent the most time with Ronin.
“I put everything I had into Ronin, and inevitably, he gave everything back to me,” Zygmont said. “I’m very proud of that.”
Zygmont said he’ll get a new dog soon and just like he did with Ronin, they’ll be training in the same park, right by the bench.
There was a large crowd of law enforcement and citizens gathered to pay respects to the four-legged fallen officer.
“He was a strong dog and great dog and I am so happy for the time I had with him,” Zygmont said.
The memorial bench is located near 67th Avenue and the Loop 101, where the Glendale PD K9s frequently conduct training.
After just three months on the job, Ronin was shot and killed as he attempted to take down an armed subject who had fled from officers a short time earlier.
Zygmont has since returned to full active duty.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night