A memorial park bench was dedicated this week to honor the life of Ronin, a Glendale Police K9, that was killed in the line of duty on June 20, 2013.
Officer Wes Zygmont was also wounded during the incident, and he said he chose the park because that was where he spent the most time with Ronin.
“I put everything I had into Ronin, and inevitably, he gave everything back to me,” Zygmont said. “I’m very proud of that.”
Zygmont said he’ll get a new dog soon and just like he did with Ronin, they’ll be training in the same park, right by the bench.
There was a large crowd of law enforcement and citizens gathered to pay respects to the four-legged fallen officer.
“He was a strong dog and great dog and I am so happy for the time I had with him,” Zygmont said.
The memorial bench is located near 67th Avenue and the Loop 101, where the Glendale PD K9s frequently conduct training.
After just three months on the job, Ronin was shot and killed as he attempted to take down an armed subject who had fled from officers a short time earlier.
Zygmont has since returned to full active duty.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development