A memorial park bench was dedicated this week to honor the life of Ronin, a Glendale Police K9, that was killed in the line of duty on June 20, 2013.
Officer Wes Zygmont was also wounded during the incident, and he said he chose the park because that was where he spent the most time with Ronin.
“I put everything I had into Ronin, and inevitably, he gave everything back to me,” Zygmont said. “I’m very proud of that.”
Zygmont said he’ll get a new dog soon and just like he did with Ronin, they’ll be training in the same park, right by the bench.
There was a large crowd of law enforcement and citizens gathered to pay respects to the four-legged fallen officer.
“He was a strong dog and great dog and I am so happy for the time I had with him,” Zygmont said.
The memorial bench is located near 67th Avenue and the Loop 101, where the Glendale PD K9s frequently conduct training.
After just three months on the job, Ronin was shot and killed as he attempted to take down an armed subject who had fled from officers a short time earlier.
Zygmont has since returned to full active duty.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food